The BWEL Foundation exists to build strong, diverse, equitable communities. This is accomplished through advocacy and supportive services for those who desire the opportunity to improve their quality of life.
Our initial program is educational advancement solutions for low-income parent-students.
Services for Students
Are you a parent scholar in higher education? We understand that you are balancing a LOT! We may be able to help you succeed in school by providing the following services:
- Academic coaching to help you enroll, apply for financial aid, build your study skills, research career options, and more.
- Resource lab where you can study in a family-friendly environment
- Tutoring for you and/or your school-aged children
- Supervised play space to keep your kids occupied and learning while you study or meet with an academic coach
- Basic needs support like food, toiletries, bus passes and gas cards (when available)
- Referrals to community resources
Support the BWEL Foundation
The BWEL Foundation relies on the community to fund our annual operations. By providing high-quality housing, early childhood education, academic support, and intergenerational programming, BWEL seeks to address the critical issues that impede school success. Your generous donation helps us to better serve these families.
There are no other holistic programs in the Raleigh area providing single parent students with the stability they need to focus on education.
BWEL is currently a volunteer driven initiative and will remain so in the short term. We are seeking volunteer support in the following areas:
- Academic coaches
- Play Champions
- Marketing and communications
- Advisory committee members
In the News
The Cost of A College Education? Homelessness
Katy Barron & Frank Stasio
February 19th, 2020
Federal watchdog: Colleges could do more to help parents pay for child care
September 12th, 2019
The Role Student Housing Plays in Communities
September 6th, 2019
A rising Raleigh has to preserve a place for all incomes
June 21st, 2019
More than 1,700 finish line grants help students complete their workforce training
Jul 12th, 2019
- Love – Every life matters regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, criminal conviction, socio-economic status, age, gender, disability, or mental/emotional capacity.
- Community – Strong collaborations with community partners is one of the key ways we work to help advance our cause towards strong, equitable communities.
- Social Justice – We promote solutions that break down inequity and give working families the opportunity of upward mobility. Communities that are integrated and equitable are healthier and more sustainable for everyone.
- Strategic Solutions – We combine best practices and the community voice to ensure that growth benefits all, then connect people with the tools and networks needed to implement them.
- Servant Leadership – We lead by serving others and combat division through empathy. Leading by example and encouraging others to do the same builds community.
Ask the BWEL Foundation to come speak to your group about who we are and the work we’re doing in the community.